Sunday, January 30, 2011

PUMPkin Muffins

So it's been 2 weeks now that I have been "pumping" and other than the more frequent lows because of the adjustment to the constant basal rate of insulin I am getting, the accuracy and convenience of this device is unbelievable.  My blood sugars have been more in range and it has been such a "mechaya" (for you R) to not have to whip out my needles and insulin pens each time I want to eat something.  However, the additional preparations for before I leave the house is something I still need to learn how to better deal with.  I am now leaving the house with my pricker, test strips, PDM (Personal Diabetes Manager - the blackberry looking thing), an extra packaged pod in case the one I am wearing gets knocked off or stops working (I would not be able to put it back on once it's taken off, you need to fill up a new one), a vial of insulin in case of that emergency, and if all these fail, I still have my insulin pen and needles on me at all times.  I sometimes consider bringing two packaged pods with me because of the incident that occurred the other night when I arrived home from school.  Now don't get me wrong, I love my Ominpod.  But what kind of person would I be if I didn't do my due diligence and memorize the Omnipod website, read blogs, and people's thoughts on the Omnipod before I actually got it.  I was well aware that in each box of "pods" people usually get one or two duds/defects.  I was obviously dreading the first time I encounter my first dud.  After a tiring day of classes in the Bronx, I entered my apartment and was welcomed by a loud, obnoxious screeching beep.  My roommate and I searched the apartment to try and figure out where this horrible sound was coming from, only to realize it was coming from my own bag.  My "safety" pod was acting out and needed to be destroyed.  I stuck it under my pillow and called my Omnipod representative who instructed me to throw it away and that it will be replaced.  I was obviously glad that this happened in my apartment but fear the next time I have a dud in my bag and it gets set off in the middle of class or while I'm teaching.  But I guess that should be the worst of my problems.
Anyways, this weekend was my first time traveling out of the city since I started on the pump.  But what better place to spend the weekend than with two of my oldest friends, A and E, in A and her husband's house in Brooklyn.  Yup, Brooklyn.  I didn't even realize until I was packing up my pumpkin muffins (made with canned pumpkin and not real ones, contrary to popular belief) that I made for the weekend.  I ended up packing 3 extra pods because I knew that I was due to change it at 6 PM Friday evening, right before we would sit down for dinner, and wanted to be prepared for any mishaps.  Thank Gd, all went pretty smoothly and my 2 friends watched as I filled the syringe with insulin, then the pod, and finally stuck it on my stomach and waited for it to insert itself.  A was impressed with the pod's ability to prime itself while E watched with proud eyes as I swiftly discarded my needle (ya that's right, I'm getting pretty good at it).  As usual, being with my friends, and specifically these ones, just adds to my confidence that I can and will do this as best as I can.  Having them learn the lingo, ask questions, and communicate with me about how I'm feeling at all times helps me fully incorporate this into my every day life without it being more annoying than it has to be.  As usual, I reflect on the month after I was first diagnosed.  I thought I would never leave the confines of my parents home, let alone my "station" in the kitchen where I would leave my meter and other supplies.  But here I am, traveling to school, work, and to other boroughs for the weekend.  Saturday nights are stressful at times, most recently because I'm realizing that crowded areas are starting to make me nervous in case someone knocks my pod off at a party or social gathering and the lows I get in the middle of my night.  But I am reminded by close patient people around me to keep checking myself and ensure that I'm ok.
While paired up in class to practice giving a clinical interview, H and my exchange may have gotten a little too deep for what was asked of us in the twenty minutes we had to practice - but that just means we're gonna be the best psychologists!!  But in all seriousness, I was able to realize something very valuable in our conversation.  It will always be on my mind.  It will always be something I need to think about.  I can't make a move without knowing what my blood sugar is.  I can't take a walk, I can't eat, I can't go to sleep without knowing that number and using it to figure out my next move.  At times I have unusually high expectations for people to know this but I am aware that it is asking too much and is completely unrealistic.  But the truth is, everyone has their "thing", and this is mine.  Everyone wakes up each morning with whatever is bothering them or making them happy, and that will probably influence their mood for the rest of the day.  I'm not unique in this.  I am now wearing a constant reminder that I have diabetes and it is not going away.  But at the same time, each of us has something that we are keeping inside.  I think it's important for us to be sensitive to others and to be mindful that everyone is starting their day off with SOMETHING.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just read all your writings. It sounds like you are getting a handle on things. You are correct when you say everyone has something that is a constant reminder of something less than perfect. Remember though as a member of our family, we always persevere regardless of the obstacles. You write beautifully by the way and I look forward to reading more of your writings. Keep smiling and thinking positively, nothing changes but having a good attitude makes everything a bit more palatable. love cousin Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. chazak chazak venitchazek

    ReplyDelete