Wednesday, January 12, 2011

B.D. (Before Diabetes)

As if moving to the Upper West Side wasn't overwhelming enough...
August of 2009 was a combination of excitement, stress, and pressure and I began a new chapter of my life.  Moving in to NYC with two of my closest friends and being surrounded by others closest to me made the transition from my cozy apartment in Queens to the big city much more manageable.  The beginning of the school year was unquestionably difficult, especially for the "Type A" that I am.  With a full load of classes, working as a nursery school teacher 5 mornings a week, and working at a substance abuse clinic 2 nights a week, I was overwhelmed with school work and feelings of isolation.  However, with the help of my special friends, I was able to create a life for myself on the UWS and find an appropriate balance between the work and maintaining my ever so flourishing social life (sarcasm)!

Grueling Ridiculous Examination - the end of my social life.
I made the decision at the beginning of November to retake my GRE's and apply for the PsyD program in my school.  Needless to say, this added another level of stress to my life but it was all worth it when I was accepted into the program.  The rest of the academic year was filled with ups and downs, highs and lows, but I somehow managed to get through it.  However, this was also about the time that the symptoms of my dear friend began showing up, clouding the ups of the months leading up to the diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment