Sunday, February 6, 2011

"I'd leave my head at home if it weren't attached"

As most of you know, I'm a pretty routine person.  I like to stick to my schedule, do what's comfortable, and prefer not to deviate from that.  In the slight chance that I do, it takes time for me to get accustomed but I usually am able to.  I've been told by many that I look like I have my shit together, but the key word here is look.  Diabetes has been one of those things that I just had to get accustomed to, I basically was not given a choice.  "You're such a scheduled person, if it's gonna happen to anyone you're the one that can handle it!" - FYI - that does not make me feel better about having it.  But anyways, the injection regimen I was on definitely lent itself to being incorporated into my structured lifestyle and I was quite thrown when I started on the pump and did not have to wake up at 8:30 AM to give my morning dose of Lantus and worry on Friday night that I would forget to give my evening dose because my phone was off and my alarm would not sound.  These were fantastic disruptions to my routine though.  Now, all I need to remember is to check my blood sugar, which I obviously do incessantly, and bolus (that means tell my omnipod how many carbs I'm eating so it can give me the appropriate amount of insulin to cover my food) before I eat.  Me and omniP, two peas in a pod.  I'd be lost without you... I found that out the hard way.
Whether it be waking up early for school or work, or sleeping a little later than usual on a weekend, the first thing I say good morning to is my PDM (Personal Diabetes Manager, the blackberry looking thing if you didn't catch that in my previous post).  I check my blood sugar, make sure I am in range, and start my day.  It was a typical Tuesday morning and my alarm went off at 7:05.  I checked myself, 98, perfect.  Got out of bed and got ready to go to work.  It didn't feel like morning as it was a gloomy, rainy day out, and the sun was not shining into my room the way I like.  I arrived to a chaotic morning at the nursery school, with three teachers absent, and me being put on standby until they decided if I was to go about my regular schedule of teaching Hebrew to the kids or as a substitute for one of the missing teachers.  I figured I'd eat breakfast as I waited to be told where to go.  I went to my bag to get my PDM to check and bolus for my cereal only to realize I had not brought it with me.  For such a "together girl", I felt like the most irresponsible, disorganized person.  For someone that prides herself on being in control of her diabetes, I forgot the most important component of my technologically advanced system that keeps me in control.  I joke that it looks like a blackberry but I clearly gave precedence to my actual blackberry that morning when I left for work.
My first reaction - ok, I won't eat any carbs.  If I don't eat carbs then I won't need to bolus.  I brought nuts, carrots, tuna.  I could survive til 2 pm like this.  But wait, the nicest part of the PDM is that it serves as a meter as well.  Therefore, I wouldn't be able to check my blood sugar without it and that I knew was not ok.  I quickly hopped in a cab, ran up to my apt., grabbed the damn thing and ran back to work.  I made it back in great time but I was embarrassed.  I was angry at my Omnipod.  How could it stay behind like that and abandon me??  I suppose it could've been worse.  I could've been in the Bronx in the middle of a class, and not right across Central Park.  But still, the only person I wasn't embarrassed to tell was my mother to which she replied the title of this post.  As a friend in school (H) pointed out, it was bound to happen.  People leave things places all the time and I guess it couldn't have happened in a better way.  But the thought of it happening in any worse way frightens me.  So I guess the take away message quoted by my dear roommate, J, "The Omnipod: Don't leave home without it".

1 comment:

  1. Been there.... more than I'd like to admit :)

    ReplyDelete